Across England: Mersey Estuary to Ouse/Humber Estuary open canoe expedition:
• Late May bank holiday week: Saturday 26/5 – Sunday 3/6/18; 9 full days including travel, plus starting driving north on Friday after work to gain extra time on the water;
• This expedition will include multi-day open canoe camping along the route as we cross England;
• You will need to be a strong 3 star open canoe or touring canoe level paddler, capable of paddling a loaded open canoe in at least force 3 winds, and paddling for extended hours as numerous 20-30 mile days are planned to make it across the country within the planned time;
• It is highly recommended that individual paddlers paddle narrower, faster, lighter, solo canoes so that you can keep up with the group, although tandem paddlers may find tandem canoes satisfactory;
• A few statistics for the trip: 162 miles, 106 locks (most of which will need to be portaged), 2 long tunnels (the 511 yard long Gannow Tunnel and the mile long Foulridge Tunnel), and 149m/487ft of ascent before dropping back down to sea level on the other side of the Pennines, with the majority of the days being 20-30 mile days, with 7-8 days on the water;
• You will require a valid national governing body membership card (eg. British canoeing) which is your canoe licence, or purchase a licence(s) from the relevant navigations that we paddle through.
The trip is on a lead/guided basis. You will need to provide your own equipment and food. Coaching is not offered, so you will need to possess the relevant skills to take part as an active team member. I am limited to a leader to participant ratio of 1:4 so places are limited and will fill on a first come, first served basis. If you have the relevant skills are interested in a place on any of the 2018 expeditions, please get in touch to reserve a place on the definite list or register your interest on the tentative list.
Should you not know the competency skill sets under the BC star award system please see the relevant star award syllabus at: https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/go-canoeing/things-to-do/build-my-skills/#star-awards
BOOKING ONTO TRIPS – PLEASE READ
Do not click “Going”, “Attending” or the like. This is not part of my booking system and I have no control over it. To book on, you MUST first contact me by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or PM me on Facebook, to request a place. I will review the available slots left and either confirm that I can offer you a definite/confirmed place, or offer you a place on the tentative/reserve list.